- Studies in Faith and World Views
- Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
Phone +46 46 222 43 39
Helgonavägen 3, Lund
Box 192, 221 00 Lund
Internal post code 30
Professor of Systematic Theology (with competence in Philosophy of Religion) since 2015.
I have my academic background at various universities in Sweden, including Gothenburg (B.Th., M.A), Lund (D.Th.), and Stockholm School of Theology (lecturer). I have also spent several terms abroad as a Visiting Fellow/Professor, e.g. at Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg (2000), Catholic University of Paris (2001), St. Benet's Hall, Oxford (2014), and Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (2021/22).
Already in my undergraduate studies, I combined studies in theology, philosophy and history. In recent years, the focus of my research has been on of philosophy of history and political theology, including the ways in which apocalyptic and messianic motifs play out in modern Western philosophy and political thinking. I am currently PI of the research program "At the End of the World: A Transdiciplinary Approach to the Apocalyptic Imaginary in the Present and Past".
In the Research Portal you can search and find information about all active researchers, units, publications, projects, infrastructures, and more, to get an overview of Lund University research.My profile in Lund University research portal
- Reserve member, Academic Appointments Board, Joint Faculties of Humanities and Theology
- Henrik Steffens-Fellowship for post-doctoral research at a German university, Alfred Toepfer Stiftung, 2004.
- Fellowship for post-doctoral research in a foreign country from the Nils-Eric Svensson Trust, Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation, 2005.
- Research grant from the Swedish Research Council. Project: ‘Thinking History: Prophetism, Messianism and the Development of the Spirit’, 2008–2010 (PI).
- Research grant from Riksbankens Jubileumsfond (Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation). Project: ‘Time, Memory and Representation: A Multidisciplinary Program on Transformations in Historical Consciousness’, 2010–2015 (PI: Hans Ruin).
- Research grant from the LMK Foundation: Project: ‘Approaching the Numinous – Intersections between Religion and Aesthetics in a Secular Society’, 2017–2021 (PI).
- Research grant from the Swedish Research Council. Project: ‘The End of Law’, 2020–2023 (PI: Mårten Björk).
- Grant from the Joint Faculties of Humanities and Theology, Lund University, for establishing an interdisciplinary research platform on ‘Christianity and Nationalism’, 2021–2022 (PI).
- Research grant from the Centre for Middle Eastern Studies, Lund University. Project: ‘Beyond Sacred/Secular Cities: Politics of Memory, Space, and Religion in Middle Eastern Nationalisms’, 2022–2025 (PI: Torsten Janson).
- Research grant from Riksbankens Jubileumsfond (Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation). Project: ‘At the End of the World: A Transdiciplinary Approach to the Apocalyptic Imaginary in the Past and the Present’, 2023–2028 (PI).
Academic Awards and Prizes
- Per Beskows Pris for contributing to the dialogue between theology, society and culture in the public sphere, 2014.
- Samfundet De Nios Julpris, 2014.
- Karin Gierows Pris (awarded be the Swedish Academy) for dedicated contribution to cultural formation or artful dissemination of knowledge, 2015.
Elected Membership in Academies and Societies
- Vetenskapssocieteten i Lund (The New Society of Letters at Lund), since 2017.
- Kungliga Humanistiska Vetenskapssamfundet i Lund (The Royal Society of Letters at Lund), since 2018.
- Det Norske Videnskaps-Akademi (The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters), since 2022.