- Church and Mission Studies
- Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
Phone +46 46 222 94 63
Helgonavägen 3, Lund
Box 192, 221 00 Lund
Internal post code 30
Born 1980, PhD in Global Christianity and Interreligious Relations (2016).
I have a broad interest in religious studies and in religion in relation to culture, society and politics. My studies have taken me from Jönköping, to Lund, Beirut, Malmö and Jerusalem before returning to Lund again for the doctoral program. My PhD dissertation focuses on several aspects of religion that have long interested me: religious meaning making, questions of identity, and how the relationships between religion and other cultural phenomena are being shaped and re-shaped in contemporary contexts. In it these questions are explored through an ethnographic study of evangelical volunteers in Jerusalem.
Other related areas of interest are Evangelical Christianity, religious life stories (particularly conversion stories), Christian language ideologies, the Anthropology of Christianity and the construction of religious identities in relation to modernity.
- ENGBERG, A. (2016). Walking on the Pages of the Word of God : Self, Land, and Text Among Evangelical Volunteers in Jerusalem. Dissertation.
- Engberg, A. (2020). Navigating the biblical mandate : Discursive change and adaptation in the International Christian Embassy in Jerusalem. Exchange, 49, 297-315. Brill.
- Engberg, A. (2019). Materializing the Bible. Journal of Heritage Tourism, 14, 83-84. Routledge.
- ENGBERG, A. (2012). Evangelicalism in the Interspaces : The Construction of Judeo-Christian Identity in a Messianic Community in Jerusalem. Swedish Missiological Themes, 100, 263-263. Swedish Institute of Mission Research.
Book chapters (2)
- ENGBERG, A. (2016). Evangelical Volunteers in Israel as Long-Term Pilgrims : Ambassadors for the Kingdom. In Leppäkari, M. & Griffin, K. (Eds.) CABI Religious Tourism and Pilgrimage Series, Pilgrimage and Tourism to Holy Cities : Ideological and Management Perspectives (pp. 161-174). CABI Publishing.
- ENGBERG, A. (2014). 'A Fool for Christ' : Sense-Making and Negotiation of Identity in the Life Story of a Christian Soldier. In Gunner, G. & Smith, R. O. (Eds.) Comprehending Christian Zionism : Perspectives in Comparison (pp. 33-59). Fortress Press.
Conference contributions (3)
- Engberg, A. (submitted). A Fool for Christ : Identity and Negotiation in the Life Story of a Christian Soldier.
- Engberg, A. (2011). A Story of a Story - The Grand Narrative of Christian Zionism, Its Formation and Cultural Embeddedness.
- Engberg, A. (2011). Life Stories and Christian Zionist Ideology : A Theoretical Outline of How to Capture the Interplay between Individual and Ideology. In Krogh Hansen, P. (Ed.) Working with Stories : Narrative as a Meeting Place for Theory, Analysis and Practice. Proceedings from the 2nd ENN Conference, Kolding 2011 (pp. 68-77). European Narratology Network.
- Engberg, A. (2020). Charismatic Christianity in Finland, Norway, and Sweden: Case Studies in Historical and Contemporary Developments, edited by Jessica Moberg and Jane Skjoldli. Mission Studies, 37, 307-308. Brill.
- ENGBERG, A. (2014). Review : Hillary Kaell, Walking Where Jesus Walked. Swedish Missiological Themes, 102, 311-314. Swedish Institute of Mission Research.
- Engberg, A. (2011). Book Review : Phillip L. Hammack, Narrative and the Politics of Identity. Swedish Missiological Themes, 99, 491-492. Swedish Institute of Mission Research.
Newspaper articles (2)
- Engberg, A. (2020). Trumps kristna nationalister. Jönköpingsposten, 2-3. Jönköpings-Posten.
- Engberg, A. (2020). Unik inblick i nyreligiositet i "The Vow". Jönköpingsposten, 14-15. Jönköpings-Posten.
Supervision at Lund University (1)
Other tasks and qualifications
Senior Lecturer, Jönköping University, 2018-
Religion and Politics, SASH49, Centre for Theology and Religious Studies Lund University, 2015-2016.
Global Christianity, KRMB12 7.5 ECTS, Centre for Theology and Religious Studies Lund University, 2013.
History of Religions: Fundamentalism - Text Use and Historiography in World Religions, RHIB54 7.5 ECTS, Centre for Theology and Religious Studies Lund University, 2011.
Intercultural Encounters, LCEB19 7.5 ECTS, School of Education and Communication, Jönköping University, 2010.
Secretary, International Association for Mission Studies, 2017-
Secretary, Nordic Institute for Missiological and Ecumenical Research, 2012-2017
Conference secretary for International Association of Mission Studies European conference in Helsinki 2014 "Mission and Money - Mission in the Context of Global Inequalitites"